Geeting Covered Bridge
Located on Price Road over Price's Creek
Built in 1894
by E. S. Sherman at the cost of $1,850.00 and the Koppee Brothers building the
abutments at the cost of $1,054.00, and costs for excavation and fill brought in
to make the total cost for this bridge $2,691.00.
The Geeting Covered Bridge spans 100 feet long, 15 feet wide, with a
clearance of 13 feet over Price’s Creek. The
first person to drive across this bridge was Dave Geeting.
He owned the property on the south and the west of the bridge and was so
pleased with a bridge being built that he asked to be the first person to drive
across this bridge. He passed away
about a year later from the bridge being completed.
In 1914 during
a windstorm the roof of the bridge was blown off and in 1969 the roof framing
was ripped out by a highly loaded truck. Sometimes
floor beams would be broken by overloaded trucks as well and the bridge was then
repaired each time. A previous
rehabilitation was completed in 1973.
In August of 1975, the bridge was posted on the National Register of
of the Geeting Covered Bridge, located on Price Rd. west of Lewisburg, is now
complete. This project was completed
at the cost of $379,753.00. It was
decided after bridge inspections showed deterioration that in order to keep the
bridge as an active, working bridge, extensive repairs were needed.
County Engineer Steve Simmons secured the project with 95% of the project
federally funded and the remaining 5% locally funded.
- Current Events
- Road Construction Updates
Road and Bridge Department Projects Photo Album - Links - Contact
- Drainage -
PREBLE COUNTY COVERED BRIDGES